A PICS Telecom 101 on the AirScale Radio Access from the Nokia AirScale Series
AirScale Radio Access is a part of the Nokia AirScale portfolio, which includes various products and solutions for radio access in mobile networks. AirScale Radio Access is designed to deliver high-performance wireless connectivity, supporting multiple generations of wireless technologies such as 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G.
PICS Telecom offers the largest inventory of new and used multi-vendor telecom network products and data equipment. Providing critical spares and services to over 2000 customers in over 100 countries. All equipment provided is thoroughly tested to ensure it is in excellent working condition and is backed by PICS’ comprehensive warranty.
- Baseband unit (BBU): The AirScale Baseband Unit is responsible for processing and managing the data transmitted between the core network and the radio access network. It performs functions like signal processing, protocol handling, and resource management.
- Remote Radio Head (RRH): The AirScale Remote Radio Head is the radio frequency (RF) component of the base station. It connects to the Baseband Unit via fiber optic cables and is responsible for transmitting and receiving radio signals to and from user devices. The RRH supports multiple frequency bands and can be deployed in different form factors to suit various deployment scenarios.
- Antennas: AirScale Radio Access utilizes advanced antenna technologies like Massive Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) and beamforming. These technologies improve network capacity, coverage, and spectral efficiency by transmitting multiple data streams to multiple users simultaneously and focusing the signal towards the intended recipients.
- Cloud-native architecture: AirScale Radio Access leverages a cloud-native architecture, enabling operators to benefit from the advantages of cloud computing and virtualization. It supports concepts like Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and Software-Defined Networking (SDN), allowing operators to dynamically allocate resources, optimize network performance, and introduce new services more efficiently.
- Network slicing: AirScale Radio Access supports network slicing, which allows operators to partition their network into multiple virtual networks optimized for different use cases and applications. Network slicing enables operators to provide customized services with specific performance characteristics, meeting the diverse requirements of different industries and verticals.
- Automation and optimization: AirScale Radio Access incorporates intelligent automation and optimization capabilities. It utilizes machine learning algorithms, advanced analytics, and real-time network data to optimize network performance, allocate resources efficiently, and proactively address issues, resulting in improved network reliability, capacity, and user experience.