A PICS Telecom 101 on the AirScale Cloud RAN from the Nokia AirScale Series
AirScale Cloud RAN (Radio Access Network) is a cloud-based architecture for radio access that is part of the Nokia AirScale portfolio. It leverages cloud computing and virtualization technologies to transform traditional radio access networks into a more flexible, scalable, and efficient solution.
PICS Telecom offers the largest inventory of new and used multi-vendor telecom network products and data equipment. Providing critical spares and services to over 2000 customers in over 100 countries. All equipment provided is thoroughly tested to ensure it is in excellent working condition and is backed by PICS’ comprehensive warranty.
- Centralized Baseband Processing: In AirScale Cloud RAN, the baseband processing functions are centralized in a cloud data center or a central office. This centralization enables more efficient resource utilization and cost savings by consolidating and virtualizing baseband processing resources.
- Distributed Radio Units: The radio units, also known as Remote Radio Heads (RRHs), are deployed at the cell sites or closer to the antennas. These distributed RRHs connect to the centralized baseband processing via high-speed fronthaul links, which can be optical fibers or high-capacity microwave links.
- Network Function Virtualization (NFV): AirScale Cloud RAN utilizes Network Function Virtualization (NFV) principles to virtualize the baseband processing functions. This allows operators to run multiple virtual instances of baseband functions on standard commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) hardware, leading to better resource utilization, flexibility, and cost savings.
- Software-Defined Networking (SDN): AirScale Cloud RAN incorporates Software-Defined Networking (SDN) principles to enable dynamic network configuration and optimization. SDN allows operators to centrally control and manage the network, making it easier to scale resources, configure network policies, and adapt to changing traffic patterns.
- Network Slicing: AirScale Cloud RAN supports network slicing, which enables the creation of virtual, independent networks within the shared infrastructure. Network slicing allows operators to provide customized services tailored to specific use cases or industries, each with its own performance characteristics, security, and resource allocation.
- Scalability and Flexibility: AirScale Cloud RAN offers scalability and flexibility to adapt to varying network demands. Operators can dynamically allocate processing resources based on traffic patterns and user requirements, ensuring efficient utilization of network capacity and improved overall network performance.
- Energy Efficiency: By centralizing baseband processing and virtualizing network functions, AirScale Cloud RAN can achieve energy savings compared to traditional distributed RAN architectures. It allows operators to optimize power consumption based on network demands and enables the deployment of energy-efficient hardware components.