A PICS Telecom 101 on the AirScale Active Antennas from the Nokia AirScale Series
AirScale Active Antennas are a key component of Nokia’s AirScale portfolio for radio access in mobile networks. They are advanced antenna systems designed to enhance network performance, capacity, and coverage by incorporating active radio components directly into the antenna unit.
PICS Telecom offers the largest inventory of new and used multi-vendor telecom network products and data equipment. Providing critical spares and services to over 2000 customers in over 100 countries. All equipment provided is thoroughly tested to ensure it is in excellent working condition and is backed by PICS’ comprehensive warranty.
- Integrated Radio Units: AirScale Active Antennas integrate the radio units, also known as Remote Radio Heads (RRHs), directly into the antenna unit. This integration eliminates the need for separate and bulky RRHs, reducing site footprint and simplifying installation and maintenance processes.
- Massive MIMO: AirScale Active Antennas support Massive Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) technology, which enables the transmission and reception of multiple data streams simultaneously. By utilizing multiple antennas and advanced signal processing techniques, Massive MIMO improves network capacity, spectral efficiency, and user experience by increasing the number of simultaneous connections and enhancing signal quality.
- Beamforming: AirScale Active Antennas leverage beamforming technology to focus the radio signals towards specific user devices or areas of interest. Beamforming improves coverage, signal strength, and interference management, enhancing network performance and providing better service quality in targeted areas.
- Flexibility and Configurability: AirScale Active Antennas offer flexibility in deployment and configuration options. They support multiple frequency bands and can be adapted to various deployment scenarios, including macro cells, micro cells, and small cells. Operators can adjust the antenna parameters and beam patterns to optimize coverage and capacity based on specific network requirements.
- Intelligent Management and Optimization: AirScale Active Antennas incorporate intelligent algorithms and software features to optimize network performance. They can dynamically adapt antenna parameters, beam patterns, and MIMO configurations based on real-time network conditions, traffic patterns, and user demand. This intelligent management enhances network efficiency, capacity, and overall user experience.
- Energy Efficiency: AirScale Active Antennas are designed with energy efficiency in mind. By integrating the radio components directly into the antenna unit, they reduce power consumption and enable more efficient use of resources. This leads to lower operational costs and environmental benefits.