A PICS Telecom 101 on the CFP2-100GBASE-ER4 from the Juniper PTX Series.
The Juniper CFP2-100GBASE-ER4 is an optical transceiver module designed for high-speed, long-distance data transmission in networking equipment, such as routers and switches. Specifically, this module supports 100 Gigabit Ethernet (100GbE) connectivity over a single-mode fiber (SMF) optical link, with the “ER4” designation indicating it’s optimized for extended reach applications.
PICS Telecom offers the largest inventory of new and used multi-vendor telecom network products and data equipment. Providing critical spares and services to over 2000 customers in over 100 countries. All equipment provided is thoroughly tested to ensure it is in excellent working condition and is backed by PICS’ comprehensive warranty.
- Data Rate: The CFP2-100GBASE-ER4 module supports a data rate of 100 Gigabits per second (100 Gbps), making it suitable for high-bandwidth applications and services.
- Single-Mode Fiber: It is optimized for use with single-mode fiber (SMF) cables, which are typically used for long-distance optical connections.
- Reach: The “ER4” designation indicates that this module is designed for extended reach applications. It can transmit data over distances of up to 40 kilometers (approximately 25 miles) without signal regeneration.
- Wavelengths: The CFP2-100GBASE-ER4 module typically operates on multiple optical wavelengths within the C band, using wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) technology to transmit and receive data effectively.
- Form Factor: The “CFP2” form factor is a compact size and hot-swappable module commonly used in high-speed networking equipment, such as routers and switches.
- Compatibility: This module is designed to be compatible with networking equipment that supports the CFP2 standard, offering flexibility and interoperability.
- High Reliability: Optical transceivers like the CFP2-100GBASE-ER4 are built with high-reliability components and are designed to meet stringent networking standards for performance and durability.
- Applications: It is suitable for a variety of applications, including long-haul and metro optical networks, data center interconnects, and service provider networks.
- Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM): This module may support DWDM technology, allowing for the transmission of multiple optical channels on a single fiber, effectively increasing network capacity.
- Hot-Swappable: The CFP2 form factor allows for hot-swapping, meaning you can replace or upgrade modules without disrupting network operations.
- Monitoring and Management: Optical transceivers often include monitoring and management features that allow for real-time monitoring of optical parameters and performance.